People who have hamsters usually describe them as small creatures with enormous energy. After all, they have wild roots, which is why we need to create a stimulating environment for them to have a fulfilled and healthy life. Among the many gadgets you can get for your hammy, hamster tubes & tunnels are perhaps one of the most popular.
Here we shall discuss why are they a must for your hamster’s cage, which tubes are the best selling ones, and, if you happen to be a creative soul, give you the idea how to make a hamster tunnel or tube. We will also look at the pros and cons of buy a hamster cage with tubes and tunnels already attached.
Why Are Hamster Tubes Beneficial?
Let’s take a look at why hamsters find tunnels so attractive. When living in the wild, larger animals see tiny hamsters as tasty appetizers. For that reason they had to adapt to live underground, making that space their home, a place where they store the food and nest.
Even though hamsters in captivity are safe from predators, that strong instinct to hide and remain out of sight is still there and it makes them explore and look for tunnels.
That’s where hamster tubes come in handy. If you want to have a healthy hamster, you need to make his life fulfilled, by making his habitat stimulating and creative. They will enjoy exploring around knowing that they have a safe sanctuary to return to when they finish.
How To Choose A Hamster Tube
As you know, there are many different types of hamsters, and many different types of tubes! The most important factor to consider is that the tube has to be the right size for your hamster!
When buying a tube for Dwarf hamsters, it shouldn’t be problematic, but chubbier ones, like Syrian hamster, require more analysis. Make sure your hammy won’t get stuck inside and also be aware that sometimes he overstocks his pouches, and if he starts running through a tube like that, there may be a problem.
You will also need to consider whether the tube will fit inside the hamsters cage. There’s also the possibility to buy a sort of all-in-one cage, which already features tubes and tunnels, but more on those later…
Things To Consider When Buying Hamster Tunnels & Tubes
Besides these factors, there are few more to take into consideration when getting a tube for your hamster. The ease of use itself matters, or else you will have a demotivated hamster if he doesn’t realize how to use it. The next is safety! Apart from size, ventilation is also an important factor when deciding on a certain tube. Make sure there’s enough of fresh air circulating through!
The material itself has to be pet-friendly. Keep in mind that hamsters like to nibble on things, so you wouldn’t like to harm your animal. And last, but not least important, is the price. Try to find a balance between a smart price and a creative and interesting gadget for your hammy.
The choice is wide, just take as much time as you need to buy the right tube! Of course, if you have the skills to make one, give it a try! You will have lots of fun, and your hammy will get a unique hamster tube!
The Best Hamster Tubes & Tunnels For Sale
You can get some all-in-one cages and we cover those soon, but if you decide to buy each part separately, make sure they fit each other. Most brands work fine with other brands, but it’s not always the case.
1. Kaytee CritterTrail Fun-nels
- Allows for expansion of CritterTrail habitats
- Includes: 1 - 1.75" Tube, 1 - 3.5" Tube, 1 - Tee Tube, 3 - Elbow tubes, 1 - 10" Tube, 8 - Connector...
- Universally connectable
- 2.25" diameter and a variety of shapes and lengths
- For hamsters, gerbils, or mice
These colorful tubes will catch your hammy’s heart the moment he spots them! Easy to assemble, this tube provide a lot possibility to create a versatile endless maze.
2. Kaytee Crittertrail Lazy Lookout Accessory Kit
- CritterTrail Fun-nels Assorted Tubes are the perfect way to start expanding your CritterTrail home.
- 1. 75" Tube, Tee Tube, U-Turn Tube, 2 ea Elbow Tubes, 5 ea Connector Rings
- If you can imagine it, you can build it with CritterTrail Fun-nels!
- Lazy look-out Accessory, J-Tube, 2ea 3. 5" Tubes, 2 ea Connector Rings
These tubes may be a bit small for Syrian hamsters, but if you are a dwarf owner, your tiny fella will have lots of fun playing inside. Seeing your hamster playing in a tube can be equally funny and amusing for owners as well.
3. Habitrail OVO Adventure Pack
- Habitrail OVO Adventure Pack is customizable to how you want to build it
- Allows your hamster plenty of space to roam around their cage
- The retractable roof at the top allows you easy access to your pet, and the clear plastic allows you...
- Retractable roof also makes the hamster cage easy to clean and maintain
- Includes Transport Unit, 2-10 inch Trails, 1Tee, 1 Cube
This creative pack is all your hamster needs! Not only tubes but other gadgets as well are part of this fantastic product. It fits all hamster sizes.
4. Habitrail OVO Dwarf Hamster Habitat
- Modular habitat Utilizes the smaller tubing of habitrail Mini trails and is compatible with all...
- Provides endless hours of entertainment for your small animal
- Easy-to-clean, easy-to-assemble habitat solution for your dwarf hamster or mouse
- Includes everything you need to get your pet's home started
- Fully expandable and ready to grow - limited only by your imagination
The same fun-house as the previous one just made for dwarf hamsters exclusively. Be sure that your hammy will have hours and hours of pure fun exploring.
5. Kaytee Puzzle Playground for Small Animals
- The expandable, connectable Jungle Gym for hours of fun and exercise
- 42 Interlocking pieces will allow your child's imagination run wild
- Ideal size for hamsters, gerbils, mice and dwarf hamsters
- Durable plastic material is easy to clean
- Start collecting and connecting several different Puzzle Playgrounds for added fun
This unusual playground may be a bit challenging to assemble, but once you do it, you’ll get quite a fantastic gadget for your hammy to play inside! So, what are few minutes extra compared to the hours of fun your pet will be having?
Hamster Cages With Tubes & Tunnels
Now that you’ve decided on bringing home a pet hamster, you are left with the task of picking the best cage and toys for them. There are a lot of options out there, whether you are looking online or at your local big-name pet store. But how do you know which cage will suit the needs of your little friend, and what if you want some hamster tubes in it, too?
Not all cages are created equal, and some are better suited for a specific size of hamster. For example, Syrian hamsters are larger than Winter White or Robo hamsters so they can be in a cage with wider bar spacing. Additionally, cages designed for dwarf species might come with smaller accessories that won’t accommodate a Syrian hamster.
There are some pros and cons to cages that have intricate sets of tubes and tunnels in them. They definitely stand out the most when you’re in the store, but are they the best? Let’s go over some things you’ll need to keep in mind, and then we’ll show you some of the best choices for the aforementioned types of cages.
Pros & Cons Of Hamster Cages With Tubes & Tunnels
Hamster cages that come with accessories like attachable tubes have been popular for years, thanks to their cute designs and attention-grabbing color schemes.
In their natural habitat, hamsters are known to travel through tunnels to escape predators and reach their destination safely.
Although domestic hamsters don’t really need to worry about either of these things, it’s hard to ignore the intrinsic need to travel this way. Another benefit about choosing a cage with tubes is the additional space they provide and the encouragement to exercise.
Of course, there are some disadvantages to choosing a cage with tubes. The tubes are usually difficult to clean and don’t accommodate air flow very well. Larger hamsters have been known to get stuck and trying to catch a hamster who is hiding in the tunnel system is difficult.
We’ll let you decide on whether or not a hamster cage with tubes is the right fit for you and your little friend but in the meantime, here are our picks for the 5 best hamster cages with tubes.
Overall, we would probably recommend going with a more standard Hamster cage like this:
- Designed to home a wide variety of small animals
- Tight 3/8'' wire spacing. Large tubby base offers room for exercise and accessories
- Extra deep 6 1/4'' tubby base
- 2 large entry doors - one on top and one on the side
- 32 ½’’ L x 19’’ W x 17 ½’’ H with 3/8’’ wire spacing
And then buying some separate hamster tubes and tunnels like this one or those listed above:
- Allows for expansion of Critter trail habitats
- Includes fun-nel connector tubes, rings, and loop-d-loop
- For hamsters, mice, gerbils or other small animals
- 5-1/2-Inch long, 8-1/4-inch wide, 18-inch high
- Each kit contains everything you need to expand your critter trail home
But if you really love the idea of having a fun maze for your hamster to play around in, and having it be a part of the cage, we’ve curated a list of your best options, and here they are:
1) Lixit Animal Care Savic Hamster Heaven
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: the cage comes with lots of accessories including tunnels, exercise wheel, two...
- HUGE SIZE: The hamster heaven metro cage lets you build a heavenly home for you hamster. The cage...
- LARGE BASE: The large lower area ensures your pet will have lost of frolicking and tunneling fun.
- EASY TO MOVE: the cage comes with two large handles so you can move the cage to any location. The...
- The cage is proudly made in Belgium. Additional tubes are available to customize you hamster house.
By far the priciest choice on the list, the Lixit Animal Care Savic Hamster Heaven is one of the most popular hamster cages available. The see-through tubes are great for knowing exactly where your hamster is, and the larger size makes them easier to clean.
- Measures 31.5 x 20 x 20 inches
- Ample space for climbing and playing
- Comes with tons of accessories: tubes, exercise wheel, water bottle, hut, ramps
- Easy to assemble
- On the pricey side
- While assembly is easy, it’s not quick with the large number of accessories and pieces to go with it
- Since it’s not quick to assemble, it’s also not quick to take apart when it’s time to clean it
2) Ferplast Hamster Cage
- Interactive Hamster Cage | Laura hamster cage features fun tubes to promote playful & healthy...
- Great Starter Hamster Cage | Laura hamster cage includes 1 food dish, 1 water bottle, 1 hamster...
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage | A deep 3.25" plastic base contains bedding & can be removed to dump...
- Convenient Top & Front Door Access | Simply lift the top door to gain access to your hamster & the...
- Ferplast Quality Guarantee | Laura hamster cage includes a 1- Year Manufacturer's Warranty on all...
The Ferplast Hamster Cage comes with a long tunnel system that most hamsters should have no trouble traveling through. Like the first one we looked at, it’s basically a normal cage but with some tubes attached, which is a good way to go, compared to the large cages that are entirely made out of a series of intricate tubes.
- Measures 18.1 x 11.6 x 14.7 inches
- Sturdy design with lots of room to explore and play
- Includes long see-through tubes for play and travelling throughout the cage
- Tubes might be a tight fit for a Syrian hamster
- No instructions included for assembly
- Tubes can be difficult to clean
3. MidWest Homes for Pets Hamster Cage
- Fun Arcade Hamster Home features a cool multi level play space to watch your hamster in action...
- Hamster Home includes FREE accessories to get you started! Exercise wheel, water bottle, food bowl,...
- Arcade Hamster Home features a deep base to contain hamster bedding, a convenient top door for easy...
- Hamster Home is modular in design & includes connector pieces to fit standard play tubes if you want...
- MidWest Quality Guarantee Hamster Cage includes a 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty & simple assembly...
On paper (Or photo, rather…) this one looks awesome, it has a cool extension at the top that turns into what looks almost like an ant farm for your hamster, it’s a more narrow play area. In a perfect world, your hamster would do their business in the cage area below and only go up top to play, so that you don’t have to constantly clean out the top area… but we aren’t living in a perfect world.
- Measures 18.1 x 11.6 x 21.3 inches
- Unique design using a vertical play space
- Packaged with interior play tubes, exercise wheel, bed, water bottle and food dish
- Most standard hamster tubes can be used on this cage
- Not easy to assemble
- The additional area up top can be a tight fit for a Syrian hamster
- It’s not as well-made as some of the other options on this list, it’s somewhere in the middle
4. Super Pet CritterTrail X
- Improved detachable design makes assembly easier and cleaning a breeze
- Enhanced door locks offer easy access and added security
- Includes water bottle, food dish, removable petting zone, and activity wheel
- Ideal for dwarf hamsters, gerbils and other small animals
- Measures 20 x 11. 5 x 18 inches. Bar Spacing: 1/4 inches
This isn’t our favorite option. This brand usually has some decent accessories for small animals, and we’ve recommended them in the past, but in this case it’s more of a budget option. The design is cool, it looks awesome, and the way the wheel spins is pretty awesome, but once things start to get a little dirtier, a little scratched up, it’s a whole different story.
If you’re on a budget and you still want a cage that’s a bit over the top, this is a good way to go, but it wouldn’t be our first choice (Hence the position near the bottom of the list.)
- Measures 20 x 11.5 x 18 inches
- Comes with a variety of accessories: tube, wheel, water bottle and food dish
- Includes detachable petting zone that gives you easier access to your hamster
- Made from decent quality plastic
- The included tube is short with an awkward design that is difficult for hamsters to climb
- Noisy hamster wheel
- Lack of usable space compared to other cages
5. CritterTrail 2-Level Habitat by Kaytee
This one has similar criticisms as #4, but it’s bigger. Bigger is better in this case, it gives your hamster a little more space to play around in, and the base is deep enough that you can fill it in with a ton of bedding so that your hamster can borrow around. It doesn’t have the cool looking wheel like the last one, but it does have a wheel that functions better, so that’s a plus.
- Measures 11.5 x 20 x 16 inches
- Multiple levels give your hamster more room to play
- Small wire spacing ensuring the cage is secure for the smallest hamsters
- Expansion possible with the use of additional CritterTrail accessories
- The dark blue color of the tubes makes it more difficult to see your hamster
- Assembling this cage isn’t as straightforward as the other options on this list
DIY Hamster Tubes & Tunnels
You needn’t necessarily buy a tube if you have enough time and adequate material to make one. The only limit is your creativity, but keep in mind that the material has to be a safe one. If you use materials which are not transparent, make sure the hamster tube you make is spacious enough so that your hammy wouldn’t get stuck inside.
The most popular materials and household items are cardboard boxes and toilet paper tubes, plastic water bottles or PVC pipes.
Some people are handy with wood, as well. The good thing is you can decorate it also after you finish making it. It can be a simple tunnel, but you can also make a challenging maze with obstacles. Besides this, you need basic tools such as scissors and some tape to put all the pieces together.
After you make it, try to test it. Is it the adequate size for your hammy, and is the construction itself safe enough? Creativity is important when deciding on a DIY hamster tube, but safety comes first! And here is a video that might help you in case you decide to make your own hamster tubes!
As you know, hamsters may not be long living pets, but the energy they have goes beyond their size. All hamster owners know how easy is to become a hamster addict. So, providing adequate food and living space for your pet is essential, but it also needs to have a motivational environment. Only that way they will reach their full potential.
Final Thoughts On Hamster Tunnels & Tubes
While they’re no fun to clean, having some type of tube or tunnel for your hamster is important. They like to burrow themselves away, so various types of shelter are good, and this fits the bill. Having a cage with tunnels and tubes attached to it isn’t necessary, but it can be a fun addition, if you don’t mind a little extra cleaning work.