As with people, interest in natural or homeopathic treatment for pets is on the rise.
Many natural alternatives for joint pain provide benefits of prescription medications without the side effects.
When your dog is showing signs of pain from an injury or a degenerative condition like arthritis, you may want to investigate holistic options that provide pain relief and support for joint health.
So what are the options for natural over the counter pain relief for dogs?
There are some very good over the counter (OTC) pain meds and anti-inflammatories for dogs that are both natural and effective.
Why Consider a Natural Anti Inflammatory for Dogs?
A natural anti-inflammatory is useful to help reduce pain and inflammation. Herbal supplementation has gained much popularity and attention, and there are many quality products that are safe and effective.
With the right substance or combination of ingredients, natural over the counter pain relief for dogs can offer comparable relief without some of the risks of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and steroids.
Even when opting to use natural remedies, be sure to consult with your veterinarian.
Some of the products can interact with medicines your veterinarian prescribes, so they need to be aware of the any OTC pain meds for dogs that you are using.
Duralactin for Dogs
- Duralactin for Dogs: Tasty tablets support reduced long-term inflammation in dogs and puppies
- Canine Chews: Vanilla-flavored tablets with Microlactin, an exclusive dried milk protein concentrate
- Joint Health Supplement: Duralactin helps support normal, healthy activity and wellness in animals
- Dog and Puppy Pet Supplies: Duralactin veterinary support supplement to help maintain joint health
- Our Story: Since 1978, we have strived for excellence in product quality and improving animal health
Duralactin is a natural product that helps reduce inflammation. This product contains a dried milk protein concentrate called MicroLactin.
Microlactin is harvested from hyperimmunized cow milk and blocks substances in the body from producing inflammation.
Duralactin Canine comes in vanilla flavored chewable tablets, and it is a nutritional supplement that can be used long term to control inflammation and reduce the need for steroids and NSAIDs.
Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin Bites
- Joint & Digestive Support – Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin Bites are soft chews made with natural...
- How Turmeric & Curcumin Can Help – Our extra strength formula contains Organic Turmeric and Qmin+...
- Enhanced with BioPerine - This ingredient is sourced from Organic Black Pepper extract to help pets...
- For Hip & Joint Health - Each chew from these Turmeric Curcumin Bites also feature Coconut Oil to...
- A Pet Supplement You Can Trust – Zesty Paws understands how much your dog's diet, health and...
Another natural pain reliever for dogs is Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin Bites. This is a popular remedy with all natural ingredients that has a potent anti-inflammatory effect. It is recommended in dogs for joint and digestive support, repetitive use injuries and degenerative conditions.
Each bite provides a powerful combination of organic turmeric, coconut oil and BioPerine from black pepper extract.
This supplement provides a safe and effective alternative to NSAID medications for treatment of joint pain and inflammation. Dosing instructions are included in the packaging and vary by the size of the dog.
- Yucca Schizandra contains steroidal saponins, which are nature's most powerful anti-inflammatory...
- Clinically proven to rapidly promote symptom relief similar to steroid medications, with none of the...
- Standardized extract contains over 85% bio-available saponins versus only 3% to 7% left in waste...
- For arthritis, bone and joint problems, soft tissue swelling, digestive, bowel problems and colic.
- Reduces the "itch" of allergies, eliminating the need for steroid drug treatments. May reduce...
Yucca Intensive is a holistic pain reliever for dogs that is safe and all natural. This product comes from the root of the yucca tree and contains steroidal saponins.
These anti-inflammatory agents provide the pain relieving and anti-inflammatory benefits of steroids without the side effects. The product is in liquid form and has a very bitter taste. Y
ou will need to dilute the product, mix it thoroughly into the meal, or hidden in very appealing food such as chicken, cheese, peanut butter or yogurt.
The dose is very small, just one drop for every 10 lbs. of body weight. This makes it easy to mix with a tasty food or liquid so your dog will take it. Y
ucca intensive is a natural pain reliever for dogs that will provide rapid relief of pain and inflammation, and it is safe to use with prescription arthritis medications for dogs.
What Long Term Options Do I Have to Manage Pain and Inflammation in My Dog?
In addition to OTC pain meds for dogs, you can use natural supplements to support joint health.
Glucosamine and chondoritin occur naturally in the body, but production decreases with age. As levels decrease, your dog is more prone to damage from injury and degeneration.
Supplements with glucosamine, chondrotin and MSM provide long term support to the joints to help minimize pain and inflammation, enhance the body’s ability to repair damage to the cartilage and keep the joints well lubricated.
Two very good supplements that contain these three ingredients are Glyco-flex III and Dasuquin with MSM. Joint health supplements are safe for your dog and can be used with pain medications if necessary.
In addition to supplements for joint health, enriching your dog’s diet with essential omega 3 fatty acids will help reduce inflammation and speed healing.
Essential fatty acids are needed for processes in the body but are not synthesized by the body. Therefore, they must be obtained through the diet. One of the best sources for omega 3 fatty acids comes from fish oil, particularly from oily fresh water fish like salmon, anchovies and sardines.
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil and Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Pet both contain purified fish oil that provides the fatty acids your dog’s body needs to battle inflammation that leads to greater joint damage. Nutritional supplements are safe and effective to support joint health and can be used with pain medications.
Safe Pain Relief for Your Dog
When you need to treat your dog for joint pain from injury or arthritis, you may want to consider natural alternatives to NSAIDs and steroids.
OTC products such as Duralactin for dogs, Turmeric Curcumin and Yucca Intensive are safe and effective treatments to deal with pain and inflammation without the side effects that can occur with other medications.
These natural remedies can help relieve pain and inflammation when you notice your dog becoming stiff or reluctant to move around.
However, for long term management of joint health the best approach is to use nutritional supplements that support joint health. The nutritional supplements are safe to use on an ongoing basis and can help maintain your dog’s quality of life as they age.
More on Dogs:
- Choosing The Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Your Arthritic Dog
- Can Elevated Dog Bowls Benefit Your Furry Friend
- Dog Acupuncture for Arthritis, Hip and Back Problems
A lover of animals, peace and quiet, and reading. When Fern is not working she will be engrossed in a Fiction book or drooling over the idea of going out for dinner.
Fern is strangely fond of Vampire movies.