Having a vacuum cleaner that has been specifically engineered to pick up pet hair allows you to have a much easier time cleaning and tidying up, compared to using a regular vacuum. There are certain features and design choices that help pick up pet hair in particular, so if you have a cat, a dog, or any other pet that can shed their hair or fur, we’ve got some great vacuum recommendations for you.
Cleaning up hair and fur is just part of having a pet, in a lot of cases, and for all those hugs and cuddles, you’re probably going to end up with fur all over yourself, all over your couch, all over the floors and your socks…
You might get used to it and not mind it when you’re at home, but pet hair everywhere can be unsightly when you’re out and about, not to mention the A word…
Allergies stop a lot of people from getting pets in the first place, but many animal lovers will set their allergies aside and just tough it out, especially if they aren’t very severe. When it comes to pet owners and their own allergies, or the allergies of their guests, there isn’t a ton that you can do besides keeping the place clean, and doing your best to vacuum.
Vacuuming often is NOT fun. Let’s be real. It’s a pain. Even for people who don’t mind vacuuming itself, the rest of the process is still a real chore. From digging the vacuum out of the closet, to lugging it up or down the stairs, to plugging it in, using it, emptying it out afterwards…
You can’t avoid that, but there are parts of the process that can be made easier by having a higher-quality pet vacuum. For example, a better vacuum is going to be more efficient, easier to move around, lighter to carry, and designed to dig up every last piece of hair.
It all comes down to the numerous choices in design that may be lacking from less expensive options. That doesn’t mean there aren’t some excellent cheap pet vacuums out there, which we’ll feature in just a few moments, it just means that the higher-end ones are usually going to offer a better overall experience.
Whether you’re able to spend a little or a lot, we’re going to help you choose the best vacuum cleaner for pets of all sizes.
Best Pet Vacuum under $100
When you’re looking for a less expensive option, there are certain sacrifices you’ll have to make. You probably won’t find something that’s cordless with any reasonable amount of power, and chances are whatever vacuum you find won’t be as maneuverable or have as many accessories.
With this one, though, you get a vacuum that’s plenty powerful to handle pet hair, it’s bag-less so you can just dump out the canister when it gets full, it has a special brush roll for picking up pet hair, even if it’s somewhat embedded into the carpet or furniture.
Check out the Bissell Cleanview Pet Vacuum:
- Powerful pet hair pick-up with triple action brush roll + scatter-free technology
- Swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles
- Clean edges and corners with edge-to-edge cleaning
- Remove pet hair with specialized pet tools including pet hair corner tool and pet turboeraser tool
- Bottom, easy empty dirt bin makes emptying quick and mess-free
The extension arm is called the TurboEraser Pet, and it allows you to easily get into harder to reach places like up and down the stairs, furniture, and anywhere else that a full-size upright vacuum might not fit.
It’s a solid vacuum, and has multiple features that help with pet hair, including the aforementioned TurboEraser Pet, and a corner tool.
It might not be the most important thing to consider when buying a vacuum, but Bissell also says they’ll donate $5 for each of these that they sell, up to $1 million per year to the “BISSELL Pet Foundation”. We encourage you to donate to a local animal shelter if you have any extra cash to spare, regardless of which vacuum you choose!
Best Overall Pet Vacuum: Dyson Cyclone…
- The most powerful suction of any cord-free vacuum. Tested to ASTM F558, against cord-free stick market
- Up to 60 minutes' run time when using a non-motorized tool , Voltage - 21.6 Volts
- Lightweight and versatile, to clean right through the home. Instant-release trigger means battery power is only used while it's cleaning. Requires charging for 3.5 hours minimum before first use
- Torque drive cleaner head - our most powerful yet. Up to 20 minutes of fade-free power (in Suction mode II). Drives stiff nylon bristles into carpets to capture deep-down dirt
- Powered by the Dyson digital motor V10 and engineered to pick up ground-in dirt and fine dust from hard floors and carpets
Now, some people are going to roll their eyes because Dyson aren’t necessarily the best value out there when it comes to vacuums. Some of their products are kind of gimmicky, they’re all probably a little more expensive than they need to be, and some of them aren’t really any better than the “normal” versions. Dyson is kind of like Apple in that sense. There’s this certain sense of slickness, design, and function all coming together… but this comes at a premium price tag.
If you’re looking for a high-end experience and don’t mind paying extra, the Dyson Cyclone V10 pet vacuum is a great choice.
This vacuum is cordless, which makes it REALLY easy to just grab it and do a quick vacuum whenever you notice a bit of hair, and it’s also light enough that it barely feels like a chore at all. If you don’t really like vacuuming, you’ll love this pet vacuum cleaner by Dyson.
Is it the absolute best value for your dollar? No, probably not, but it’s a super convenient, high-quality option for someone who wants to invest in making a regular vacuuming routine as easy on themselves as possible.
Best Robot Vacuum for Pets
- Sleek, Premium design complements your home decor; includes 1 dual mode virtual wall barrier for more control over where your robot cleans
- 3-Stage cleaning system and dual Multi-Surface brushes pick up everything from small particles to large debris
- Patented dirt detect sensors alert roomba to work harder on concentrated areas of dirt, such as high-traffic zones of your home
- Full suite of intelligent sensors guide the robot under and around furniture to help thoroughly clean your floors
- Clean and schedule from anywhere with the iRobot home app; compatible with Amazon Alexa and the Google assistant
We’ve all seen the viral videos of dogs or cats riding around on robot vacuums, and if you haven’t, you should. We’ll wait right here.
Back? Okay, great. If you’re looking for a robot vacuum, in other words one of those automatic vacuums that navigates around your home and vacuums for you on a set schedule, there are a handful of good options.
The ability to stay on top of the pet hair issue on a daily basis can help a ton for people who are struggling with allergies in particular. When it’s picked up on a regular basis, the hair or fur doesn’t have as much of a chance to really embed itself in your home.
Having said that, these still aren’t the best vacuums for pet hair, to be totally honest. A robot vacuum like this is convenient, but it’s not as powerful as a full upright or canister vacuum. They have limited batteries, which already has an impact on how much power it can produce without being plugged in. Also, the size makes it less efficient for sucking up dirt, hair, or whatever else might be on your floor.
Once you factor in the price, these are a really tough sell. If you want it for the convenience-factor, that makes sense, but don’t expect it to be the most powerful or most efficient vacuum you can get for this price range. There are plenty of much less expensive vacuums that work great for pet hair, the difference is that you’ll have to do it yourself instead of just turning on a robot to do the cleaning for you. There are pros and cons, basically, but if money is no object – it won’t hurt to have a little robot cleaning up the easier stuff day to day, and then you can do a more deep-clean with a more powerful vacuum occasionally.
Best Shark Vacuum for Pets
- Shark's original, full-sized Powered Lift-Away. A canister that detaches to deep clean hard-to-reach areas while still delivering power to keep the brushroll spinning.
- Hard Floor Hero. Picks up surface litter and stuck-on debris, providing superior bare floor cleaning.
- TruePet Motorized Brush and Pet-Multi Tool. Ultimate pet hair cleaning for all surfaces.
- Fingertip Controls. Power On/Off and easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet Mode.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + a HEPA filter. Traps 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
Shark/Ninja is a brand that’s been making some serious waves. They’ve become very visible when it comes to home blenders, and vacuums. If you think about it, those types of products aren’t entirely different. They’re both dominated by very expensive luxury brands, they require heavy-duty motors and electronics to work, and Shark has managed to make a big dent in both of them.
This Shark vacuum for pets is a super versatile vacuum cleaner. It’s a lift away, so you can use it normally, but you can also lift up the canister and use it as a hand-held. Beyond that, you can keep using the rest of it too, so you can lift off the canister and set it aside, allowing you to reach harder to reach places with the upfront part of the vacuum. It’s very maneuverable, and very unique that the cleaning head still gets power even when you’ve lifted the canister off.
It has a motorized brush for cleaning up pet dander, dust, and allergens. It comes with special Allergen Complete Seal technology to keep all of those allergens in place, instead of picking them up and then just blowing them around the room, which can happen with vacuums that don’t have a good enough seal.
The special seal, along with the hand-held brush for pet hair, makes this the best shark vacuum for pets that we’ve come across to date.
It’s more expensive than a pure entry-level vacuum, but the value to dollar ratio on this unit is incredible – you’re getting an incredible amount of bang for your buck here, and this vacuum genuinely makes the whole process easier. You can hit hard to reach places, and get everything done in less time.
Many vacuums have pet brushes, but the fact that this one is powered makes a big difference. That extra bit of oomph helps suck up as much pet hair as possible, and then keeps it in place until you’re ready to empty the canister.
It’s not just about how good it sounds on paper, though. The positive reviews for this product are astounding, people that buy it end up loving it, especially people with pets that shed.